How do I make my hive less defensive?
A. Try these practices:
- Place your hive in a low-traffic area, where people, pets, vehicles are not streaming past the entrance. It is best if hives have about 10-20 feet in front of their entrance for an unobstructed flight path as they fly to and from the hive.
- Always use a well-lit smoker and don’t work the hive just before or during a storm.
- Do not go into the hive more than once every 2 weeks unless necessary.
- Do not wear perfumes, aftershaves, or other fragrances when working bees.
- Do not keep the hive open for more than 15 minutes in most circumstances.
- Always wear protective gear and light-colored clothes when working bees.
If you notice the bees are darting you more and more, try to complete your task, smoke often and close the hive.